Thursday, May 22, 2008

If using ethernet, are you sure you loaded the driver with the
correct I/O port, interrupt, and address (if used)?


Q: I can ping a server, but I can't connect with Kali. Why?

A: Wow...getting close. The most common problem causing this is an
incorrect modem init string. Make sure that hardware flow control
and NOT software flow control is enable on the modem (see A4
above). This can also be caused by having the wrong info in
wattcp.cfg. The server might be off-line. Try another server.


Q: Ok, I finally connected to a server. Now my PC locks up after
a few seconds. I haven't even started a game yet. Sometimes it
locks up before I even run Kali. Sometimes I get the player list.
What did I do wrong?

A: The most common cause is not having hardware (RTS/CTS) flow
control enabled (and software/XON/XOFF disabled). Check the manual
for your modem and make sure your init string enables RTS/CTS and
disables XON/XOFF.

The second most common reason for PPP users is the omission of the
ppp=1 line in wattcp.cfg. Also try using a netmask of 0.0.0.0 (PPP
only).

If using ppp, your provider might be using Link Quality Monitoring.
If you cannot disable this option, you will not be able to use
Merit's etherppp driver. Get a copy of pppshare.zip from one of
the sites listed above for Kali and try this driver instead (get
lsl.zip while you are there).