Sunday, October 07, 2007

Step 1: Set up the packet driver. If you do not already have a
suitable packet driver installed on your machine, now is the time
to install one. Start by determining your ethernet card's IRQ
setting, it's base I/O port setting, and it's memory address
setting (if any). You should be able to determine this by looking
at the card itself and consulting the user manual. You'll need
some if not all of this information, depending upon which packet
driver you use and/or type of hardware you have (for example, some
IBM computers with theMicroChannel bus can determine the settings
on the card automatically without you having to supply them on the
packet driver command line). Unzip the appropriate driver from
Crynwr Packet Driver collection archive. In our example, the
packet driver is called SMC_WD.COM. By looking at the jumpers on
the card and consulting the manual, I determined that the card has
been set to IRQ 7, Base I/O port address 300h, and the base memory
address is at segment d800h. For this example, I have chosen to
use interrupt 60h for the packet driver. Packet drivers typically
operate on an interrupt in the range of 60h to 80h inclusive; since
nothing else in my sample system happens to be using the first
available interrupt (INT 60h), I chose that. Thus, to load my
packet driver, I use the command line